Lash extensions can make your eyes look fabulous and glamorous, but they require a bit of care to maintain their look.
One of the most common questions that lash extension wearers ask is how to shower with lash extensions. It’s essential to know how to care for your extensions during your daily shower routine, as the water, steam, and humidity can affect the bond between the lash extensions and your natural lashes.
In this guide, we will show you how to shower with lash extensions without damaging them.
Whether you’re a seasoned lash extension wearer or a newbie, this comprehensive guide has everything you need to know to shower with lash extensions like a pro.
Preparing for Your Shower:
Can you shower with lash extensions? Of course!
Before you hop in the shower, there are a few things you should do to prepare your lash extensions:
- Brush your lashes: Use a clean mascara wand or a lash brush to gently comb through your lashes. This will remove any tangles or knots and help your lashes maintain their shape.
- Apply a lash sealer: A lash sealer can protect your extensions from water damage. Apply a thin layer of the sealer to your lashes before getting in the shower.
- Use a shower cap: To avoid getting your lashes wet, use a shower cap to cover your head. This will also protect your hair from the humidity.
How to Shower with Lash Extensions:
Once you’ve prepared your lashes for the shower, it’s time to hop in! Follow these steps to ensure that your lashes stay intact:
- Keep your face away from the water: When you’re washing your face, try to keep the water away from your eyes. Use a washcloth or a sponge to gently clean your face.
- Use a gentle cleanser: Avoid using harsh soaps or cleansers on your face. Instead, use a gentle cleanser that’s specifically formulated for lash extensions.
- Be gentle: When you’re washing your face or hair, be gentle around your eyes. Avoid rubbing or tugging on your lashes, as this can cause them to fall out.
- Avoid hot water: Hot water can cause the glue on your lash extensions to weaken. Use lukewarm water instead.
- Use a microfiber towel: After your shower, gently pat your face dry with a soft microfiber towel. Avoid rubbing your face or eyes.
After your shower, there are a few things you should do to ensure that your lash extensions stay in good condition:
- Brush your lashes again: Use a clean mascara wand or lash brush to gently comb through your lashes again. This will help them maintain their shape.
- Avoid touching your lashes: Try to avoid touching or rubbing your lashes, as this can cause them to fall out.
- Avoid the heat: Don’t use a hair dryer or other heat sources near your eyes, as this can cause the glue on your lash extensions to melt.
- Avoid getting your lashes wet for the next 24 hours: It’s important to avoid getting your lashes wet for at least 24 hours after your shower, as this can weaken the glue.
How Long After Lash Extensions Can I Shower?
It is generally recommended that you wait at least 24 hours after getting lash extensions before showering or getting your lashes wet. This is to ensure that the adhesive has fully cured and that the extensions have properly bonded to your natural lashes.
After the initial 24 hours, you can shower as usual, but it’s important to avoid rubbing your eyes or using any oil-based products on or around your lashes. You should also avoid hot water or steam, as this can cause the adhesive to weaken and your extensions to fall out more quickly.
If you do get your lashes wet, gently pat them dry with a clean towel or allow them to air dry. It’s also a good idea to brush them gently with a clean spoolie brush after showering to help maintain their shape and prevent tangling.
How to Take Care of Lash Extensions in the Shower?
When showering with lash extensions, it’s important to take extra care to avoid damaging them. How long should you wait to shower after lash extensions?
Here are some tips about aftercare of showering with lash extensions:
- Avoid getting your lashes wet for the first 24 hours after the application of lash extensions.
- When you do shower, try to avoid getting the lashes too wet, especially with hot water or steam. Instead, use lukewarm water.
- If you have to get your lashes wet, avoid rubbing or pulling on them. Simply rinse them gently with water.
- Use a mild, oil-free cleanser to wash your face, being careful to avoid the eye area. Instead, use a washcloth or cotton swab to clean around the eyes.
- Be careful when washing your hair to avoid getting shampoo and conditioner in your eyes. Try tilting your head back slightly to minimize the risk.
- After showering, gently pat your face and lashes dry with a soft towel. Avoid rubbing or pulling on the lashes.
- Use a clean spoolie brush to gently comb through the lashes and keep them looking neat and separated.
How to Dry Lash Extensions After Shower?
Drying lash extensions after a shower requires gentle care to avoid damaging the extensions or pulling them out. Here are some tips on how to properly dry your lash extensions after showering:
- Gently pat your face dry with a clean towel. Avoid rubbing your face, as this can cause your lash extensions to tangle or fall out.
- Use a clean spoolie brush to gently comb through your lashes, starting at the base and working your way up to the tips. This will help to separate any lashes that may have clumped together during the shower.
- If your lashes are still damp, you can use a hair dryer on the cool setting to gently dry them. Hold the dryer at least 12 inches away from your face, and use a low setting to avoid blowing your lashes around.
- Alternatively, you can simply allow your lashes to air dry. Avoid using a towel or other material to dry them, as this can cause friction and damage to the extensions.
- Once your lashes are completely dry, use a clean spoolie brush to separate and shape them as desired.
Remember to be gentle when drying your lash extensions, and avoid rubbing, pulling or tugging on them. Proper care and maintenance can help your lash extensions last longer and look great!
How to Shower Without Getting Lash Extensions Wet?
If you don’t have goggles or a shower shield to protect your lash extensions while showering, there are still a few things you can do to avoid getting them wet:
Wear goggles while showering with lash extensions:
Wearing goggles while showering with lash extensions is a great way to protect them from getting wet and potentially becoming damaged. Goggles can also help to prevent harsh shampoos, soaps, and steam from coming into contact with your lash extensions, which can weaken the bonds between the extensions and your natural lashes over time. There are many different types of goggles available that are specifically designed for use with lash extensions, and they come in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit different eye shapes.
When choosing goggles, be sure to select ones that fit comfortably and securely over your eyes to create a waterproof seal. With the proper care and protection, your lash extensions can stay looking great for weeks to come.
Use eye shields to protect your lash extensions
Using eye shields is another effective way to protect your lash extensions while showering or washing your face. These plastic shields fit over your forehead and provide a barrier to keep water and steam away from your lash line. Eye shields are comfortable and flexible, and they are easy to use. Simply position the shield over your forehead, making sure it covers your lash line, and then adjust it as needed to create a seal. Eye shields can also be used to protect your lash extensions when using certain skincare products, such as toners or serums. They are a great option if you prefer not to wear goggles or if you find that goggles don’t fit comfortably over your eyes.
Remember to be gentle and avoid rubbing or pulling on your lash extensions while washing your face or hair. With a little care and attention, you can keep your lash extensions looking great while still enjoying a refreshing shower.
Q: Can I shower immediately after getting lash extensions?
A: It’s recommended that you wait at least 24 hours before showering after getting lash extensions. This allows the glue to fully dry and set.
Q: Can I swim with lash extensions?
A: It’s best to avoid swimming with lash extensions, as chlorine and salt water can damage the glue.
Q: How often should I brush my lash extensions?
A: You should brush your lash extensions at least once a day, preferably in the morning.
Showering with lash extensions doesn’t have to be a stressful experience. With a little bit of pre-shower preparation, gentle showering techniques, and post-shower care, you can enjoy your lash extensions while maintaining their longevity. Remember to avoid harsh products, hot water, and rubbing or tugging on your lashes.
It’s important to remember that everyone’s lashes are different, and some may require more or less maintenance than others. If you have any concerns or questions about how to care for your lash extensions, don’t hesitate to reach out to your lash technician or salon for guidance.
With a little bit of effort and care, you can enjoy your beautiful lash extensions while still maintaining your daily shower routine. By following these tips and techniques, you can ensure that your lash extensions stay in top shape, allowing you to flaunt your stunning lashes with confidence.
In summary, knowing how to shower with lash extensions is an essential part of lash extension maintenance. By taking a few simple steps before and after your shower, you can keep your extensions looking fresh and fabulous.